Sunday, March 27, 2022

I Went To a Film Festival! PP#19

 Ok so, for starters, the surgery went well. She has to rest, but she is fine and healthy. She will be able to film, hooray!

But, now something different. I went yesterday, to the Columbus Film showcase, a showcase of Columbus All Boys School films. We submitted ours, thinking it was a festival, and due to Nicole's connections, they played Critique and Toby has Friends. 

Their teacher put on a speech. A speech about how you need to take your time and not be ashamed of re-filming. That art takes a village. So you might imagine my disappointment when Critique, a film I made with just one other person in 20 hours, was the best film of the night. A two minute film. None of these men, with all the money and resources in the world compared. And it gave me confidence. Confidence that I am the filmmaker that I think I am and I cannot let myself be intimidated by men, since, I probably intimidate them. Confidence to do things at my pace, that being, 200 miles an hour. Fast. Pressured. That is how I like doing it. I simply do. And, most importantly it gave me confidence in my writing. All of those films had ok cinematography, ok light, ok editing. But you know what none of them had? Good writing. Not a single one of them. And that is the one thing we did have. Our dialogue was concise and strong. It was designed particularly to be spoken by our specific character. And the same goes for Steve. Dainty is cynical, but she does not curse. Maria curses. She has more anger in her. She has to curse, all of her stress is eating her up and she just has to. Dainty's sentences are short. She says only what is needed to be said. She does not expand on what Steve did, while Maria goes on detail. God I'm good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components