Friday, February 24, 2023

The girl

 Hey blog, 

LET'S TALK ABOUT ME!!!

No but seriously. There is a female supporting role in this film- the ex. A character which we will keep nameless, to represent Diego's lack of understanding of women. 

We want the film to begin with a harsh breakup scene. In a public space, Diego and the ex have an intense conversation, that is quiet and reserved. In it, she expresses that although they have only been in two dates, she understands enough about him to know that she hates him. 

It is imperative that in this scene, she wins. I want her to make a point that the reason she is breaking up with him is NOT because of looks, but because of his entitlement and lack of empathy. This is important, because Diego uses his looks as an excuse for how bad he is with women, when in reality he is fairly attractive.

 It is important that the ex wins, because this jumpstarts Diego's disdain for women in general. Although she gives him clear reasons for the breakup, or I guess we can call it "stop seeing each other," Diego feels like she was cruel, and unreasonable. It also sets up greatly who this character is, it immediately tells the audience how this man behaves around women, and how he sees himself. 

I will be playing this character. Not to toot my own horn, but I have acted before, and I love thick dialogue. Additionally, I will be writing the script, so I will understand best how the cadence of the conversation should go. 

I was greatly inspired by the breakup scene in The Social Network. The characters are in a fairly similar situation, and Mark Zuckerberg's ex (see I don't even remember her name) makes very bold statements. 


I also like the look of the scene. It is in a crowded space. When I was recalling the scene, I remembered them being in a much fancier place, which is what I am basing the scene on. Again, I'm playing greatly with juxtaposition. The contrast of having these two young adults in a nice restaurant, while one of them is incredibly childish. 

I also want to represent this with the food they are eating. While the ex is eating a proper adult meal, Diego has chicken nuggets, the classic dish all children order at fancy restaurants. 

Overall, Diego feels like he won against his ex, but in the truth, nobody won. The ex's ego is not inflated in the way where she sees it as losing or winning, and at some points shows geniune concern for Diego. 

My big concern with this scene is that it will take up half of the film. That's why I had the idea of spreading the scenes throghout the film ,and instead of making the scene at the beginning, it will connect with all of the aspects of Diego's downfall, and will be help move along the story, and develop Diego's character. 

I think I will write both versions, and see in editing what fits best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components