Sunday, February 26, 2023

My concerns

 Hey blog, 

Let's talk issues, 

I have yet to write the script for the film, yet I will be meeting on Tuesday with my group after school to solidify a structure and write it through the week. 

Still, I have concerns about the film. 

TIME

This is a slow movie, with character development. I am scared that out 10 minute limit, which is already a huge stretch, will not be fit to portray everything we want to show. 

This brings us to PACE

I have made shorts before, and around 99% of the time, these were fast paced, and the editing style included a lot of montages and jumpcuts, which facilitates our time limits. 

However, I am really passionate about making the pace of this film slow. I think it needs to be slow to truly depict the depressing undertones of the film. I am scared that the long scenes I have planned, will have to be cut, which will compromise the film's contents and pacing. 

Additionally, I am not used to editing slow paced films. I feel like whenever I make something more simple, the film becomes very evidently amateur. White noise is heard. Audio isn't clear. Cuts are weird. It is not my natural pace. It is not the pace I insitncitvely edit in. So this will be a challenge.

To prepare, I am changing my viewings a bit from very campy, fast movies, to more slow paced ones. 

I have been watching more old films, which allow me to see how filmmakers would present information in wide shots, rather than tights, which im more used to, and how these shots come together. 

Additionally, I am thinking highly of chaning the structure of the film. Rather than the story being fully chronological, I think snippets that come together to form a character will make more sense with the time alloted, and will feel more like a short film, rather than an extremely compressed version of a feauture. 

I am very excited for this, I think it could change how I make shorts. 

I watched the short "The Big Shave," one of Martin's Scorsese's first shorts. It is 5 minutes, has no dialogue, takes place all in a bathroom, and has one character. Yet it manages to express a lot in very minimal terms. I think that's my goal with this film, express ideas in simple and minimalistic ways. 

(Minimalism, yuck.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components