Wednesday, February 16, 2022

So, Horror. PP#3

 So, horror. We think of serial killers, we think of ghosts. Of a creepy dude, with creepy boots, standing at a creepy door, oh this sure is creepy. You may be wondering if I'm an idiot. A pretentious idiot for that. That is what I think when people tell me they have a passion for horror, because the moment they tell me about their endeavors in the film industry, it always includes a creepy guy doing creepy things that have been done before by other creepy guys. How are we going to differentiate ourselves from them? Do we even have to? As long as Halloween and first dates keep existing, there will always be a demand for bad horror films. Films that are repetitive. Films that have no depth, just jump scares. Films with a happy ending. Films where the least expected is actually true, but it takes one extra brain cell to see that it was expected. Should we stick to this? No. There is another way. 

My best friend, and film partner Lauren and I have always shared a passion for psychological horror. We love Darren Aronofsky's filmography so much: the obsessed artist in the Black Swan, the fast paced cuts  in Requiem For a Dream, and the overwhelming sense of Mother, inspired us when we opened an email that read, "Your skills USA genre is horror." We were lost, having made only one horror film, Toby Has Friends. So we decided to stick to this, and take the route of psychological horror, a character's personal demise, as she struggles to achieve the perfection she feels is necessary to be enough. I based a lot of it in how I deal with failure, yet in a much more exaggerated way. We went absolutely crazy with the cinematography. We wanted to recreate, in our way, Aronofsky's hip-hop montages from Requiem. Overall, our purpose with both Toby and this was to confuse and overwhelm our audience. I Toby everything seems fine, except there is something off, the way the kids act, the way the shots are so tight on them, the way they walk with one another. With this one, we wanted to show her descent, we wanted to focus on little details that only she would focus on. We wanted to overwhelm. 

That is my goal with this. I hope to set up a scenario that seems the slightest bit off. I want to overwhelm my audience with the cinematography and dialogue and acting, and I want my audience to want to look away, yet not know why. My group loves this. 


Here is my film I made named Critique. We won first place for Skills USA, and we are currently on the way of submitting this to the SunCoast Emmys and All American Film Festival. 

https://youtu.be/JvKTQR2T2EY







No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components